Sometimes a thought stays in your mind and just begins to poison it, putting you in a bad frame of mind and ruining your mood. We can torture ourselves for weeks, months and even years with one poisonous thought which just won’t go away! Your mind is just like your body, sometimes it needs cleansing—a ‘detox’.
There are many studies that show how consciously controlling your thoughts can be a great way to detox your brain. It allows you to get rid of those toxic thoughts and emotions that can consume and control your mind. It’s necessary to change your way of thinking. You can’t let negative thoughts riot through your mind and destroy your mental health. You need to take control and engage with your own mind, analyze thoughts and consciously decide if you want to accept or reject it.
How do you start? Becoming more self-aware is half the battle. Here are some questions you should ask yourself:
1. “Could-have”, “Would-have”, “Should-have”—how many times have you thought any of these statements today?
2. Did you imagine and “if only” scenarios today?
3. How many times have you replayed in your head a conversation or situation that pained you, or one that hasn’t even occurred yet?
4. Do you recognize the actions you are doing? Are you honest about your motivations?
5. Do you say one thing but think another?
6. How many times have you said “nothing goes right for me”, “I always mess up “?
If you’ve concentrated on these thoughts and these statements, you’re thinking toxic thoughts. You need to get rid of them! Try to recognize these thought for what they are, and force them out of your mind. As soon as you start weeding out these toxic messages in your mind, you can concentrate on more productive ways of thinking and create a healthier mind.